Individual Wedding Cake Cupcakes as Favors:
Make miniature replicas of your wedding cake as take-home favors for your wedding guests.
Depending on your budget, hire your wedding cake baker to make the number of miniature cakes needed as a take-home favor for each quests. However, if you are on a limited wedding budget then consider making them yourself using store bought box cake mix and the easy, inexpensive icing recipe below. Determine how many individual cakes needed. Then decide how many you feel comfortable with making weekly. Bake and decorate the mini cakes in small batches at a time so you are not overwhelmed. Or here’s a fantastic idea, bake the number of miniature and regular cupcakes needed. Do all the baking one day and freeze the cupcakes, then on another day assemble and decorate the cupcakes. The final “wedding cupcake cake” can be frozen for several weeks until your wedding day.
How to assemble:
- clear plastic plates the size of a teacup saucer
- wooden skewers
- piping tip
- frosting bag
- ornamental accessories such as: rings, doves, letters, ribbon etc.
- regular size cupcakes (1 regular cupcake and 1 miniature for a 2 tier cake or 2 cupcakes and 1 miniature for a 3 tier cake)
- miniature size cupcakes
Butter Crème Icing recipe:
- 1 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 sticks margarine
- 2 tsp. vanilla (or extract of flavor choice)
- 2 lbs. confectioners sugar
- 4 Tbsp. milk
Cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer. Add vanilla (or extract of flavor choice). Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time beating well. Scrape down the sides of bowl to incorporate well. Add milk
and beat until light and fluffy. Keep refrigerated when not in use. Keeps for 2 weeks in refrigerator, but rewhip before using.